Jun 13, 2011

Angels, Not Psychics, Gave False Murder Tip

In the latest strange twist to an already bizarre case that made headlines around the world, the woman who allegedly told police that dozens of dismembered bodies, including those of children, would be found on a Texas ranch last week says that her information came not from psychic powers but from angels.

The Houston Chronicle reported:

    “The 48-year-old woman, who asked to only be identified by her nickname of Angel, said she never wanted any attention and fears the worldwide interest in the case will destroy her life if her identity is known publicly. ... Angel described herself as a reverend for a ministry that helps the poor and the homeless, and said that while she is based in Texas, she spends much of her time traveling to do God's work.”

Angel insists that she never claimed to be psychic -- only a prophet of God -- and that she did not tell police about dozens of dismembered bodies, but instead three children (who she believes are still in danger).

“I didn’t file a false report,” Angel told KHOU News in Houston. “If they make it to be false, that’s up to them, you know. ... I did what I was told to do. I followed what Jesus and the angels told me to do. It’s up to them from there. ... They [the police] up front asked me how I got the information, and I am a reverend. I am a prophet and I get my information from Jesus and the angels, and I told them that I had 32 angels with me and they were giving me the information.”

The revelation puts the whole situation in a (slightly) more plausible light. Self-proclaimed psychics usually offer information on cases that have already been publicized in the news media. It’s much more rare for psychics to spontaneously offer information about a person or incident that has not been reported, as happened in this case.

Messages from Jesus and angels, however, are another matter. In Christian theology, angels serve primarily as divine messengers and as protectors. In this case, Angel apparently believed that the information she received through prayer fulfilled both of those roles: It was a divine message from Jesus that would help protect and save endangered children.

Angel’s explanation may also seem plausible to the public; more people believe in angels than in psychic abilities. According to authors Chris Bader, F. Carson Mencken and Joseph Baker in their book "Paranormal America," polls suggest that nearly 70 percent of Americans think angels exist, 53 percent believe they have personally been saved by a guardian angel, and 32 percent claim they have personally felt an angelic presence.

Read more at Discovery News

No comments:

Post a Comment