Nov 3, 2010

Woman gains gurning title

Anne Woods, who has been crowned winner of the Egremont Crab Fair, in Cumbria, 27 times, had previously failed to get a mention in the famous book.
This was despite male champion Tommy Mattinson being named in the annual for triumphing just 11 times.

But after Mrs Woods' latest success in September she will now join the ranks of other high achievers – as the woman able to pull the ugliest face in the world.

Gurning involves contorting the facial features into ugly positions while draped in a horse collar and it is thought that the competition at Egremont dates back to the middle ages.

Mrs Woods said: "It feels absolutely wonderful to have been accepted. But this is not before time – I've won the competition 27 times now.

"I am considering retiring, but I know what I'm like. Come next year's competition I'll be itching to get on stage again.

"Whatever happens, I doubt my record will be broken."

Anne started gurning when she was 30 after her brothers entered her into the competition without her permission.

She won and 33 years later Anne is still pulling her famous face.

But there was drama at this year's event when Anne collapsed and was rushed to hospital after leaving the stage.

Her daughter Brenda said: "I think this year gave her a bit of a shock, but she's known for gurning and that's what she'll do. "It's a big part of her life."

Read more at The Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment