Sep 9, 2010

Optical Illusion of Child Gets Drivers to Brake


I don't know about you, but my heart skips a beat if I see a ball suddenly roll out into the street in front of my car. I'm on the brake as fast as I can.

It's a reaction that the British Columbia Automobile Association Traffic Safety Foundation is hoping lots of people have. In an effort to get speeding drivers to slow down, they're painting an image of a child playing with a ball on the road in a school zone. The image is painted in an elongated manner, so that at the right distance, it appears three-dimensional.

It reminds me of those paintings you see from sidewalk artists who can recreate the edge of a cliff or a stairwell.

From far away, this image looks like a smudge. But as the driver gets closer, the form of a child comes into view. The faster the car, the more suddenly the image will pop up into a three-dimensional view. A nearby sign will read, “You’re probably not expecting kids to run into the road.”

The illusion is being trialed in West Vancouver, Canada, starting September 7, and will be removed after a week of evaluation.

Read more at Discovery News

No comments:

Post a Comment